Hay bale fire ignites northeast of Gordon

Hay bale fire ignites northeast of Gordon

By Lauren Brant

A hay bale fire occurred on Wednesday, April 11 around 3:30 p.m. about  7 miles northeast of Gordon.

The fire was on a residential property just south of the 680 Rd. and 130 Trl. intersection. It was caused by spontaneous combustion from the moisture in the hay.

The bales were surrounded by several compromised buildings and livestock but the volunteer firefighters were able to hold the fire to the area. Since the bales are so compact, they hold moisture and can smolder for days. To keep the fire contained to the area, the firefighters rolled out the hay bales with a loader to help the fuel burn out.

The hay bales had been piled between barns and a cattle corral  on Tuesday after the landowner moved cattle to another pen. The owner shared his appreciation for the firefighters’ efforts, especially with their help to put out about seven fires over the last few years.

The estimated cost of the burned hay is unknown.

Last modified onTuesday, 17 April 2018 13:17

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.

back to top