The Sheridan County Board of Commissioners met in regular session and by zoom at 9:05 A.M. on May 25, 2021.  Zoom ID 3358213334 Passcode 625274.  Paul and Messersmith present and Krotz excused.  This meeting was posted on the official county website and published in the Sheridan County Journal Star on May 19, 2021.  Messersmith made a motion to accept the agenda.  Paul seconded the motion.  All voted aye.  Messersmith made a motion to approve the minutes of 5-18-2021.   All voted aye. 

The board signed claim checks and audited and approved salary claims.  

Road Superintendent Richard Cross visited with the board about his plan for the replacement of the E911 signs that are all faded out.  They plan to replace all the signs on the major highways first and then start working on the 5 zones they have mapped out.   Cross informed the board that he has ordered the signs and they should be here in 5 to 6 weeks.   

At 9:30 A.M. the board opened the Public Hearing to discuss the closure of 1 mile of 620th road.    The request was presented by Gerald and Joyce Johnson.  This hearing was legally published and certified letters were sent to all land owners abutting or adjacent to the road.   No one was present for the hearing.  All costs incurred will be billed to the Johnsons.   The hearing was closed at 9:45 A.M.  Messersmith made a motion to adopt Resolution #2021-9 vacating 1 mile of 610th road starting at 320th Lane going East for one mile, on 620th Road and ending at 310th Lane, and abandon the right of way.   Paul seconded the motion.  With a roll call vote all voted aye. 

Jonnie Kusek, Panhandle Trails/Senior Services Inc representative visited with the board to request office space if available.   The board informed her that they do have office space in the Annex Building that may work.  Kusek explained that they would need a place to park vehicles and be able to have access to a hose to wash vehicles.     The board was not sure if they would have a spot for vehicles to be housed inside.  Kusek did not feel that was necessary, just parking space.   Chairman Paul stated that he would like to wait and visit with Commissioner Krotz about this before any decision is made.   Kusek went out to the Annex Building to view the office space and will report back to the board on June 8, 2021.  

Marie Nelson, Extension Educator and Jeff Davis, Building & Grounds Superintendent met with the board to discuss the costs of renovations needed in the building that the extension is considering renting.    Davis reported that it will take around $2500 for the renovations.  These fees will be the county responsibility.   The renter would like a year lease.  The board felt with the renovations that they would like to see a two-year lease.   Davis stated that he was sure that would be fine with the renter.    Nelson asked about renters insurance.  The board requested she visit with her supervisor about insurance.  

Messersmith made a motion to proceed with the rental of the Tinker Tot Building and finance the upgrades up to $3,500 with a 2 year contract with payment at ½ the rent until the renovations are complete.    Paul seconded the motion.  With a roll call vote all voted aye.    The County will take possession of this building on June 1, 2021.     The board asked the renter to proceed with a lease agreement for signatures.  

Davis informed the board that the cleaning contract has not been completed yet.  He will try to have it at the next meeting.

Jeremy from MANNA visited with the board.  Messersmith informed Jeremy that they are at a stand still on the security audits.  The board is waiting to hear from the officials about their thoughts.  

Sheriff Jeff Brewer, Deputy Tausan, Dispatcher Jodi Elsea, Tina Skinner, Renee Thies, Sindy Coburn, Richard Cross and Linda Strasburger were all present to discuss IT with the board.   The group has met and discussed and after careful consideration the group has asked if we could try Bytes Computer Service out of Scottsbluff to do our IT services.     Some questions were unanswered so the board asked Thies to contact Bytes and find answers.    The group will meet back to discuss this issue further at a later date.  

Adjourn:  12:15 P.M.

Attest:  Sindy L. Coburn, Clerk

Loren L. Paul, Chairman 

Published: June 16, 2021