Hawks bounce back with big win over Leyton

Stevin Horrocks had another big night running the ball against Leyton. Stevin Horrocks had another big night running the ball against Leyton. Photo by Clint Andersen

The Hay Springs Football team had a great win on Thursday night against a tough 4-0 Leyton squad. The Hawks were getting stuffed early in the game against a stout defense until quarterback Joey Johnson found Chris Ray for a 48 yard touchdown strike. “That long pass opened up the offense for us and kept Leyton off guard on defense,” stated coach Jason Funk. “Joey really played a nice game and threw some great passes and would have had more yards if some of his passes weren’t dropped.”

With three minutes left to play in the first, the Hawks got on the board again with a six yard run by Stevin Horrocks, followed by a successful PAT by Jordan Houser. Horrocks again had a great game running the ball, with 170 yards and 5 touchdowns.

Horrocks’ second touchdown came early in the second quarter on a four yard run, followed by another successful Houser PAT. With less than four minutes to go in the second half, Houser scored his first touchdown of the game on a six yard run, then added the PAT as well. With the Hawks now up 30-0, Leyton finally added six of their own on a 20 yard pass. Not to be outdone, Horrocks raced 35 yards for his third score of the game just four plays later. The PAT was no good, making the score 36-6 at the half.

Leyton recovered an onside kick early in the third quarter, using the opportunity to add another six to their score. Four minutes later, Horrocks again found the endzone on a thirty yard run, but the PAT was no good. Horrocks’ fifth and final touchdown of the game came at the end of the third on a 28 yard run. Joey Johnson added the PAT, putting the Hawks up 50-12.

Early in the fourth, Matthew Hessler capitalized on a botched punt to score from one yard out. Levi Ray added the PAT to give the Hawks 58. With time winding down in the game, Leyton marched 23 yards after a Hay Springs fumble to score on a one yard run, making the final score 58-18 Hawks.

The defense was lead by junior Seth Nowak. Nowak was dominate on the D-line, pressuring the Leyton quarterback all night. He was the leading tackler for the Hawks, followed by Nate Letcher. “I am really pleased with the effort of our men against Leyton,” said Funk. “They are a quality team and we needed to play well to beat them. I was glad to get back into our rhythm on offense after our collapse the week before.”

When the Hawks are able to get their ground game going they are a tough team to beat, and coach Funk has been pleased with the progress of his team. “We talk about never letting up and finishing plays. This team has a lot of fight in them, and every day we work on improving and winning the battles on each play.” 

Next up for the Hawks is Mullen on Friday night. Mullen is a perennial power in 8 man football and plays a very physical style of football. Coach Funk looks for Mullen to line up in the I formation and pound the football. “Their style of play has not changed much since I played against them in the late ‘80s, when I was a player at Hyannis,” said Funk. “They are a tough group of kids that are well coached and know how to win games.”

Mullen is 2-2 and their two losses came against undefeated teams.

Last modified onFriday, 04 October 2013 15:07

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.

back to top