The Sheridan County Historical Society was temporarily organized on June 19, 1933. Officers elected were B.J. Peterson, President, C.S. Marcy, 1st VP, Frank P. Coats, 2nd VP, Mrs. Grace Hummel, Sec., L.G. Lohmeyer, Trea. On July 31, 1933, the society held its first meeting and became a permanent organization. On June 12, 1957 the society was reorganized as a non-profit corporation. C.E. Benschoter was named chairman, and J.E. Reid was named secretary.